If you're in need of a quick and easy meal that's bursting with flavor, look no further than these 5 Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Tacos! With just a few simple ingredients, including tender chicken thighs, zesty taco seasoning, tangy Rotel, fresh green bell pepper, and aromatic garlic, you can create a delicious and satisfying dish that the whole family will enjoy. Best of all, this recipe is made in a slow cooker, so you can set it and forget it until dinnertime. Perfect for busy days!
As someone who loves easy and flavorful meals, I can't recommend this recipe for 5 Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Tacos enough! It's perfect for busy families, especially during the colder months when we crave comforting meals. While these tacos can be enjoyed year-round, they're especially popular during fall and winter. And if you're looking for a festive dish to serve on Cinco de Mayo, these tacos are a must-try! Don't hesitate to add them to your menu for a delicious and stress-free celebration.
This recipe was inspired by my neverending love for taco recipes. I have quite a few on my blog already and definitely intend to add more. These slow cooker chicken tacos would pair perfectly with my Skinny Spicy Margaritas and Homemade Guacamole and Pico De Gallo recipe.
- 🥘 5 Ingredients Only: The Perfect Chicken Taco Recipe
- 🔪 How to Make Mouth-Watering Chicken Tacos in Your Crockpot Using Only 5 Ingredients
- 🌮 Easy Substitutions to Customize Your Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- 🌶 Tasty Chicken Taco Recipe Variations to Spice Up Your Meal
- 🥘 What You'll Need: Essential Kitchen Tools for Making Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- 🥣 Storing Leftovers: Keep Your Tacos Fresh
- 💭 Top tip
- 💬 FAQ
- 🌮 Related
- 5 Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Food safety
🥘 5 Ingredients Only: The Perfect Chicken Taco Recipe
When it comes to making delicious meals, sometimes simple is best. That's why I love this 5 Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Tacos recipe. With just a handful of flavorful and wholesome ingredients, you can create a dish that's easy, healthy, and full of Mexican-inspired flair.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs: These are perfect for slow-cooking as they stay moist and tender, and have a rich flavor that complements the taco seasoning.
- Taco Seasoning: A blend of spices that adds delicious heat and depth of flavor to the chicken.
- Rotel: A canned tomato and chili mixture that adds tangy and slightly spicy notes to the dish. I purchased the variety that includes green chilies, but you can use whichever one you like!
- Green Bell Pepper: This veggie adds freshness and crunch, and is packed with vitamin C.
- Garlic: Aromatic and flavorful, garlic adds depth and complexity to the dish.
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Cotija Cheese
- Fresh Limes
🔪 How to Make Mouth-Watering Chicken Tacos in Your Crockpot Using Only 5 Ingredients
Making these 5 Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Tacos couldn't be easier!
Start by dicing your green bell pepper.
Dump the chicken and all the other ingredients in the slow cooker.
Give everything a good stir. Set it to low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours and let it work its magic.
Once the chicken is cooked through, shred it with two forks on a cutting board.
Return the chicken to the slow cooker and mix it all together.
To serve, warm up some tortillas and top with your favorite garnishes.
Helpful Hint: To save even more time, you can prep all of the ingredients the night before and store them in an airtight container in the fridge. In the morning, simply dump everything in the slow cooker and let it cook while you go about your day. By dinnertime, you'll have a delicious and satisfying meal ready and waiting for you!
🌮 Easy Substitutions to Customize Your Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Looking to mix it up with your chicken tacos? Try these ingredient substitutions to add some variety to this already delicious recipe:
- Chicken: you can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs.
- Taco seasoning: switch up the seasoning with homemade taco seasoning or try a different spice blend like chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika.
- Rotel: if you can't find Rotel, you can substitute it with canned diced tomatoes and a small can of diced green chilies.
- Green bell pepper: substitute with red, yellow, or orange bell peppers for a pop of color and sweetness.
- Garlic: try using roasted garlic for a milder and sweeter flavor.
If you're looking to make your own homemade seasoning I recommend this Easy Taco Seasoning Recipe from The Modern Proper.
🌶 Tasty Chicken Taco Recipe Variations to Spice Up Your Meal
Looking to switch up your taco game? Check out these tasty variations on this chicken taco recipe! With unique ingredients and flavors, these will bring a new twist to your next taco night.
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Tacos: Replace the Rotel with your favorite salsa for a different spin on this recipe.
- Shredded Beef Tacos: Swap the chicken thighs for beef chuck roast.
- Pork Tacos: Substitute chicken thighs with pork tenderloin or pork shoulder.
- BBQ Chicken Tacos: Swap out the taco seasoning for BBQ seasoning and the Rotel for BBQ sauce. Once the chicken is cooked and shredded, mix it with the BBQ sauce and serve in tortillas topped with sliced red onion, shredded lettuce, and a drizzle of ranch dressing.
- Pineapple Salsa Chicken Tacos: Add a can of drained and diced pineapple to the slow cooker along with the other ingredients. Once the chicken is cooked and shredded, serve in tortillas topped with homemade or store-bought pineapple salsa, diced avocado, and chopped cilantro.
🥘 What You'll Need: Essential Kitchen Tools for Making Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Slow cooker
- Cutting board
- Two forks for shredding the chicken
- Serving dishes
- Airtight container for storing leftovers
- Instant Pot: If you don't have a slow cooker, you can use an Instant Pot instead. Cook on high pressure for 12-15 minutes and then use the quick-release method to release the pressure.
- Oven: Alternatively, you can use an oven-safe dish with a lid and bake the chicken in the oven at 350°F for 1.5 to 2 hours. Adjust the cooking time as needed based on the size of your chicken thighs.
Note: The cooking time may vary depending on the equipment used. Be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure the chicken is fully cooked and tender.
🥣 Storing Leftovers: Keep Your Tacos Fresh
To properly store the 5 Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Tacos, make sure to transfer any leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate them promptly. They should be consumed within 3 days of cooking. You can reheat the leftovers in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Can You Freeze The Leftovers?
Yes, you can definitely freeze the leftovers of these 5 Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Tacos. To do so, let the leftovers cool completely before transferring them to an airtight, freezer-safe container or bag. Make sure to label the container with the date and contents.
The frozen leftovers can be stored for up to 3 months. When you're ready to enjoy them, simply thaw them in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
💭 Top tip
When serving these tacos, I highly recommend using a slotted spoon. Since the slow cooker makes these nice and juicy it can also result in a soggy tortilla if you dump too much of the liquid with your taco meat.
Cooking chicken in a crockpot is easy and it's the perfect method for making chicken tacos. To start, you'll need boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Simply place the chicken in the crockpot along with your desired seasonings and liquid, and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
Once the chicken is done, shred it with two forks and return it to the slow cooker to keep warm until ready to serve. This method ensures juicy and flavorful chicken that's perfect for tacos.
For this recipe, I recommend cooking the chicken on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. It's important to make sure that the chicken is cooked thoroughly before shredding it. You can check the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer - it should read 165°F (74°C) before it's ready. Keep in mind that cooking times may vary depending on your slow cooker and the size of your chicken thighs, so it's always best to use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is fully cooked.
Looking for other taco recipes like this? Try these:
These are some of my favorite drinks to serve with Crockpot Chicken Tacos:
5 Ingredient Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Two forks for shredding the chicken
- Serving dishes
- 2 lbs. Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 2 tbs. Taco Seasoning
- 2 cans Rotel with Diced Green Chilies
- 1 Green Bell Pepper diced
- 3 tsp. Garlic minced
- Cotija Cheese
- Fresh Cilantro
- Dice your green bell pepper.
- Dump all of the ingredients into the slow cooker and stir everything together.
- Set slow cooker to low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked thoroughly, remove to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Return the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker.
- Serve with warmed tortillas, crumbled cotija cheese, fresh guacamole, and cilantro. You can include any toppings you like!
- Be sure to store any leftover in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 3 days.
Making this recipe? Please tag me on Instagram @natashasfoodadventures so I can see your creations! I love getting to know you guys and can’t wait to see which recipe you will make next.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before handling any food, and after handling raw chicken.
- Use separate cutting boards and utensils for the raw chicken to avoid cross-contamination.
- Make sure the chicken reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) before consuming.
- When storing leftovers, make sure to use airtight containers and refrigerate them promptly.
- If you have any concerns about the safety of your slow cooker, be sure to inspect it regularly for cracks, and follow the manufacturer's instructions for use and maintenance.