How To Make California Roll Sushi In A Bowl
California Rolls can be made at home without needing sushi rolling skills! When I’m craving sushi but want to stay home this recipe for a California Roll In A Bowl hits the spot. It has all the classic ingredients and takes less than 30 minutes to put together. That makes it the perfect weeknight meal.
I’m not sure about you guys, but I have a long commute to and from work everyday. Sometimes cooking is the last thing I want to do. That’s when I discovered making sushi bowls as a tasty and healthy alternative to grabbing takeout or spending an hour of my evening in the kitchen.
Making A Deconstructed California Sushi Roll
Have you tried making sushi at home? I have and I’ll admit it didn’t go as well as I had planned. It’s definitely a skill that I need to spend more time working on. That being said, these bowls are the perfect life hack for making these delicious, healthy rolls without as much effort. So easy to make and it’s perfect for summer because the only cooking involved is the rice! I used Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo and I highly recommend it. My absolute favorite mayo! Use my promo code FOODADVENTURES for 10% off your purchase.
What Are The Main Ingredients In A California Roll
When it comes to California Rolls there are a few standout ingredients that you will always find. Crab Meat or Imitation Krab, Cucumber, and Avocado. Wrap them up in nori and rice and you have yourself a delicious sushi roll that’s low calorie and delicious!
Other Sushi Roll Bowls You Can Try
Not a fan of crab? Try salmon, shrimp or even tofu! They would all taste delicious with the same ingredients included in this bowl. If you want to add more veggies, I would also recommend carrots, zucchini, or asparagus. Just like a giant sushi salad, you can get creative with your ingredients. Looking for low carb? Swap the rice for lettuce! The possibilities are endless with these delicious sushi bowls.
KITCHEN EQUIPMENT USED:
California Roll In A Bowl
- Small Pot
- Cutting Board
- Shallow Bowls
- Chopsticks (Optional)
- 1 Cup White Rice
- 2 Cups Crab Claw Meat *Imitation Krab Can Also Be Used
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil Mayo *I like Primal Kitchen's Mayo
- 1 Avocado Sliced Into Thin Strips
- 1 Cucumber Cut Into Half Moons
- 1 Green Onion Chopped
- 4 Sheets SeaSnax Seaweed *Also known as Nori
- 1 tsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 tsp White Miso Paste
- 1/2 tsp Prepared Wasabi I used the kind that comes in a tube
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Paste
- 3 Tbsp Seasoned Rice Vinegar
- Lemon Wedge
- Pickled Ginger
- Black Sesame Seeds
- Start by cooking your rice according to the package directions. I made mine by bringing it to a boil (added a dash of salt), then reducing the heat to low and covering with a lid for 15 minutes. Then I remove it from the heat and let it sit for 5 more minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking I combine all of the sushi sauce ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Mix the crab meat with the mayo and set aside.
- Chop up the cucumber, avocado and green onion.
- Distribute the rice into each bowl and top with the crab mixture, drizzle with the sushi sauce, place your veggies and top with the garnishes. Enjoy!
Making this recipe? Please tag me on Instagram @natashasfoodadventures so I can see your creations!
Other Quick & Easy Weeknight Dinners You Might Enjoy:
*This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something I might make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog!