How To Make Cap’n Crunch French Toast At Home
Sunday Funday was made for this easy recipe for Cap’n Crunch French Toast. Growing up, I loved all sorts of cereals and Capn Crunch Cereal was definitely one of them. I went with Capn crunch’s crunch berries for this particular recipe because it adds some fun color to the french toast. If you have a large griddle, this surprisingly makes for a quick breakfast that the whole family will love. The Blue Moon Cafe in Baltimore, Maryland is where the Captain Crunch French Toast Recipe craze started. They were featured on the Food Network show Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives and although I’ve never had their original recipe I can imagine it’s amazing!
How To Make This Delicious Breakfast
First off, I want to share that when testing this recipe I initially made it where I crushed the cereal pieces in a Ziploc bag with a rolling pin. It took quite a while to crush the cereal into small pieces and even then I was left with larger chunks that would burn when on the griddle. My second round of recipe testing went much smoother once I used a food processor instead for the crushed cereal. It’s much more efficient and created a uniform batch of cereal crumbs that coated the entire surface of the bread much more evenly with no burning! I also recommend using stale bread for the best french toast because it prevents them from getting too soggy.
Now For The Fun Part
If you’re looking for the perfect accompaniment to this fun spin on traditional french toast you can serve it with maple syrup (if you really love sweet), fresh fruit, crispy bacon, or some fried eggs. Whatever sounds good to you! I personally like some extra protein with these, since they tend to be a bit sweet.
Cap'n Crunch French Toast
- 1 Food Processor
- 1 Griddle
- 2 Shallow Bowls
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Pair of Tongs
- 4 Large Eggs
- 3 cups Cups Cap'n Crunch Berries (Crushed)
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream or Whole Milk
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 6-7 Thick Slices Brioche Bread or Texas Toast
- 1/2 cup Fresh Berries For Garnish
- 3 tbsp Butter
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. You will keep your slices of french toast on an oven-safe plate in the warm oven after cooking them while you continue with your other batches.
- Crush the Capn Crunch Berries in a food processor. Make sure to crush into a fine powder-like consistency. Otherwise, the large chunks will burn before your toast is done. Set the cereal mixture aside in a shallow dish.
- Using a separate bowl, make the egg mixture. Whisk the eggs first, then add the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and kosher salt. Whisk all ingredients until combined to a custard-like consistency.
- Preheat a large skillet, frying pan, or griddle to medium heat. Set-up a french toast station with your slices of bread, a few tablespoons of butter for melting on the preheated griddle, a shallow bowl of custard mixture, and dish of crushed cereal.
- Using a small spatula, melt about half a tablespoon of butter onto your griddle. Then dip a slice of bread into the custard mixture using a fork or tongs. Coat the bread slices for a few seconds on each side. Then transfer the soaked bread to the crushed Capn Crunch and give it a nice coating on both sides of the bread.
- Place the bread on the preheated griddle and toast for a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Transfer the cooked pieces of french toast to an oven-safe plate or sheet pan and place them in the warm oven while you cook your next batch of french toast.
- When done with all of the toast, serve warm with butter, whipped cream, and strawberries. Sprinkle with additional pieces of Capn Crunch Berries and enjoy your delicious french toast!
Making this recipe? Please tag me on Instagram @natashasfoodadventures so I can see your creations! I love getting to know you guys and can’t wait to see which recipe you will make next.
Other French Toast Recipes You Might Like:
Cinnamon French Toast Recipe