How To Make The Perfect Fall Apple Strudel From Scratch
Fall is officially here so I figured it was a wonderful time to bake one of my favorite German recipes. This Easy Homemade Apple Strudel is the perfect dessert and you’ll find yourself wanting it for breakfast the next day.
What Pastry Is Apple Strudel Made From?
Traditionally this strudel dough would be made from scratch. But for the sake of time, I used puff pastry. With a strudel dough made from scratch, the oil would be included as part of the dough already. With puff pastry, it's basted with butter before baking.
Since launching my blog earlier this month I realized I didn’t have any German recipes on my blog yet. With a last name like Englehardt I’m sure you might have guessed by now that I’m a tad bit German. I’ve never visited Germany though and would love to go one day. So until that day comes I’m just going to teach myself as many traditional German recipes as possible.
Although a traditional strudel would be made with dough made from scratch, it’s a pretty labor-intensive process to get it just right. If you want to make your life easier just pick up some Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets and you will be good to go.
Something I recommend once your Apple Strudel is ready for consumption is to top it with some vanilla ice cream and butterscotch sauce. YUM!
EASY HOMEMADE APPLE STRUDEL RECIPE
- 2 Large Apples, Peeled, Cored & Thinly Sliced ( I Used 1 Jazz Apple & 1 Golden Delicious)
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry Thawed
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- ½ cup Bread Crumbs
- ½ cup Chopped Walnuts
- 3 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- ½ Lemon Freshly Squeezed
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Powdered Sugar
- Melt the butter in a skillet, once melted add the breadcrumbs and toast them until golden brown. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Slice the apples and toss them in a bowl with the walnuts, 1 Tbs. flour, sugar, cinnamon, and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 Tbs. flour on a cutting board. Roll out your pastry sheet into a 16×12 inch rectangle.
- With the shortest side facing you, spoon the apple mixture and breadcrumbs keeping at least 1-inch room from the edge for rolling. Once you have your filling spread up, roll it up like a log. Tuck the ends underneath to seal it. Then place it on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Keep the seam side down.
- Whisk the egg and water in a small bowl to brush on top of the finished roll. Then cut 4 slits on top of your strudel before placing it in the oven.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Once it’s done let it cool for about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with ice cream!
I’m excited that you are trying out my Easy Homemade Apple Strudel Recipe. I would love to see how it turns out! Be sure to tag me on Instagram @natashasfoodadventures or use my hashtag #natashasfoodadventures.
Other Recipes You Might Like:
FRUITY PEBBLES CRISPY CEREAL TREAT BARS – EASY NO BAKE RECIPE