As a lover of cocktails and all things beautiful, I'm excited to share with you my latest creation: The Mulan - Cherry Blossom Cocktail. This stunning drink is inspired by the iconic Chinese warrior, Mulan, and is the perfect way to celebrate springtime. Made with cherry blossom gin, fresh lemon juice, and a homemade strawberry puree, this cocktail not only looks beautiful but tastes amazing too.
The Mulan - Cherry Blossom Cocktail is a beautiful drink to enjoy any time of the year, but I think it definitely evokes a feeling of springtime when cherry blossoms typically bloom. Plus, the cocktail’s floral and fruity flavors make it an ideal choice for special occasions such as Mother’s Day, bridal showers, and even weddings.
This cherry blossom martini is part of a trio of Spring Time Disney Princess Inspired Cocktails I created for a collaboration with Disney and Travel blogger Kayla Freitas, also known as Travel Momoirs. I chose Mulan to represent this cocktail because she is one of my favorite Disney princesses and because her story is set in China, where cherry blossoms are a symbol of beauty and strength. I think it would pair beautifully with my recipe for Shrimp Scampi with Angel Hair Pasta or this Cherry Tomato Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze. You can also check out the other two cocktails The Rapunzel - Lavender Lemonade Cocktail and The Alice - Coconut Creamsicle Cocktail.
A Brief History of Mulan
Mulan is one of my favorite heroines from ancient Chinese lore. Her folk tale is truly inspiring. Legend has it that she disguised herself as a man so she could join the army in place of her old and sick father. Mulan fought for twelve years and became a skilled warrior and leader, earning the respect of her fellow soldiers. Her story is one of courage, loyalty, and sacrifice, and it has been passed down for over 1,500 years.
Mulan is an iconic symbol of Chinese culture and identity, and her legend continues to capture the hearts of people all over the world. In 1998, Disney made one of my favorite animated movies based on her legend called “Mulan” which brought her story to millions of people. The movie has beautiful songs, stunning animation, and a powerful message about being true to yourself and following your dreams. If you haven't seen it yet, you're missing out!
The Symbolism of Cherry Blossoms in Chinese Culture
Cherry blossoms are rich with symbolism in Chinese culture. These delicate flowers represent the fleeting nature of life and the idea of rebirth and new beginnings, blooming briefly each year before falling to the ground. In traditional Chinese art and literature, cherry blossoms are a popular motif that can signify a range of emotions, from love and beauty to the transience of youth. Despite their short lifespan, cherry blossoms remind us to cherish each moment and find hope in the cycles of nature. Cherry blossoms are not only beautiful flowers but also powerful symbols of Chinese culture and identity. That’s why I chose them as the main ingredient for my Mulan - Cherry Blossom Cocktail recipe.
🍸 What You Need to Make the Mulan - Cherry Blossom Cocktail
*The following section contains affiliate links. If you purchase something I might make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog!
- Cherry blossom gin: The star of the show, cherry blossom gin gives the cocktail its unique floral flavor and ties in with the Mulan theme. I found it at my local Total Wine store.
- Fresh lemon juice: Adds a tangy kick that balances out the sweetness of the strawberry puree and honey.
- Strawberry puree: Made with fresh strawberries, honey, and a splash of water, the puree adds a fruity sweetness and beautiful pink hue to the cocktail.
- Egg white: This may sound unusual, but egg white is a classic ingredient in cocktails and gives the Mulan - Cherry Blossom Cocktail a silky texture and foamy top.
- Edible rose petals: A delicate and beautiful garnish that ties in with the floral theme and adds a touch of elegance to the drink. I purchased mine on Amazon.
See the recipe card for quantities.
🍋 Helpful Hint: Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best flavor. Avoid using bottled lemon juice as it may contain additives that can affect the taste of the cocktail.
If you find yourself in a situation where you don't have all the necessary ingredients on hand to make this Mulan-Inspired Cherry Blossom Cocktail, don’t worry! I have a few substitutions you can try so that you can still make a delicious version of this drink.
- Gin - If you don't have cherry blossom gin on hand, you can substitute it with 2 ounces of regular gin or even vodka. The choice is yours!
- Lemon juice - You can use lime juice instead of lemon juice if you prefer. If you find the addition of the citrus too tart for your liking you can also omit it entirely. Just add a splash of water instead.
- Strawberry puree - If you don't have fresh strawberries, you can use frozen ones instead. Just make sure to defrost them a bit first before blending them. You can also substitute the honey with simple syrup or agave nectar.
- Egg white - For a vegan or egg-free version, you can use aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas) as a substitute for egg white. If you don’t want to use either that’s also ok. Just know that the egg white is what gives this cocktail a creamy texture.
- Edible rose petals - While these are a beautiful and unique garnish, I realize not everyone has them laying around their kitchen. Instead, you can use a slice of strawberry or lemon wedge as an alternative.
This cherry blossom cocktail is delicious as it is, but if you want to mix things up, here are some variations to try out:
- Plum blossom gin instead of cherry blossom gin.
- Lime juice instead of lemon juice.
- Raspberry or blackberry puree instead of strawberry puree. This will change the color depending on what you use.
- Aquafaba instead of egg white for a vegan option.
- Lavender syrup or elderflower liqueur instead of strawberry puree to add a different vibe. Note that this will change the color of the drink.
- Swap out the edible rose petals for edible gold flakes or a slice of strawberry for a pop of color.
- Cocktail shaker: You can also use a mason jar with a lid if you don’t have a shaker. However, my favorite cocktail shaker is from Elevated Craft and I highly recommend it if you make cocktails regularly at home.
- Jigger or measuring cups
- Citrus juicer or reamer: If you don’t have either of these you can also just squeeze it by hand into the shaker.
- Blender or food processor (for the strawberry puree)
- Fine mesh strainer (for the strawberry puree)
- Martini Glass: You could also use a coupe glass or a small cocktail glass of your choice.
When using egg whites in a cocktail, it's important to dry shake them first before adding ice and shaking again. This creates a frothy and silky texture in the cocktail. To dry shake, simply add the egg white to your shaker without ice and shake vigorously for about 10 seconds. Then, add ice and the rest of the ingredients and shake again until chilled.
Cherry blossom gin typically has a floral and slightly sweet taste with a subtle cherry flavor. The cherry blossom adds a delicate, floral note to the gin, which can make it a great addition to cocktails with a light and refreshing taste. The exact taste can vary depending on the brand and the specific ingredients used in the gin.
This cocktail is so beautiful and was a really fun challenge for me to try to create something unique that reminded me of the Disney-inspired version of Mulan. I hope you give it a try yourself. Cheers! ✨🥂✨
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with this Mulan - Cherry Blossom Cocktail:
The Mulan - Cherry Blossom Cocktail
For The Strawberry Puree:
- 1 ½ cups strawberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- splash of water
For The Martini:
- 2 oz cherry blossom gin
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- 2 oz strawberry puree 1 ½ cups strawberries 1 tablespoon honey and splash of water makes 6.5 oz
- 1 egg white
- Edible rose petals for garnish
- Start by making the strawberry puree. You will add all of the ingredients into a blender and blend on high until all the strawberry is smooth.
- Next, you will strain the strawberry puree into a wide-mouth measuring cup through a fine mesh sieve to prevent the seeds from making their way into your cocktail. It can create a gritty taste otherwise.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the cherry blossom gin, fresh lemon juice, strawberry puree, and egg white.
- Dry shake (without ice) for 10-15 seconds to emulsify the egg white and create a frothy texture.
- Add ice to the shaker and shake again for an additional 10-15 seconds to chill and dilute the cocktail.
- Strain the cocktail into a martini glass.
- Garnish with edible rose petals and enjoy!
Making this recipe? Please tag me on Instagram @natashasfoodadventures so I can see your creations! I love getting to know you guys and can’t wait to see which recipe you will make next.
- Wash your hands before handling any of the ingredients to prevent the spread of bacteria.
- Make sure to properly wash the strawberries before pureeing them.
- If using raw egg whites, make sure to use pasteurized eggs to reduce the risk of salmonella. Alternatively, you can use pasteurized liquid egg whites.
- Use clean and sanitized equipment when making the cocktail, including the cocktail shaker, strainer, and glasses.
- Store any leftover ingredients, such as the strawberry puree, in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use them within a few days.
- If the cocktail is being served outside or in warm temperatures, make sure to keep it chilled in a cooler or by adding ice to the shaker during preparation.
- Discard any leftover cocktail after 24 hours to avoid the risk of spoilage.
Leave a Reply