How To Make a Skinny Spicy Margarita With Fresh Jalapenos
Add a little kick and less sugar to your next homemade cocktail with this Fresh Skinny Spicy Margarita Recipe. This right here is one of my all-time favorite cocktails. It’s a little sweet, a little spicy, and a whole lot of refreshing especially on a hot summer day. Whether chilling poolside for happy hour or enjoying a Cinco De Mayo celebration this margarita will elevate your experience.
What is a Skinny Spicy Margarita made of?
For this particular spicy skinny margarita recipe, I went as fresh as possible with these simple ingredients: fresh lime juice, jalapeño peppers, oranges, and silver tequila. I’ve noticed that some recipes include agave nectar, but I omitted it from my recipe to spare the carbs. I much prefer the sweetness of the freshly squeezed oranges because it doesn’t overpower the spice of the jalapenos. Check out the recipe card at the end of this post for the complete list of ingredients.
What’s the difference between a Margarita and a Skinny Margarita?
A traditional Margarita these days has a lot more sugar and carbohydrate content. If you’re looking for a low carb, low sugar option, the Skinny Margarita is the way to go! Skinny margaritas don’t have nearly as much sugar. Regular margaritas have different ways to make them depending on who you talk to or what restaurant you visit. Some will use simple syrup, agave syrup, or a premade sweet and sour mix which can often have up to 15 grams of carbs in just 1 ounce! Add a few ounces of that to your margarita and you might as well be drinking a soda. I personally prefer to use fresh ingredients for a healthier margarita. In Mexican culture, they typically avoid heavy sweeteners to make a good margarita so the skinny margarita isn’t too far off from what a true classic margarita recipe looks like.
How many calories are in a spicy margarita?
This spicy skinny margarita recipe has about 178 calories. Mostly because I use 2 oz. of Blanco tequila per drink. If you want to cut down on the calories you can use 1 oz. of tequila instead and it will bring your calorie count down to 113. Either way, I tried to use nothing but natural ingredients for this fresh margarita.
Can I use orange juice instead of triple sec?
Yes! That’s actually what I did for this skinny margarita recipe. Triple sec is an orange liqueur that has a lot more carbohydrates and sugars so using fresh orange juice instead is a great alternative. It adds a nice balance to the little heat of the fresh jalapeños as well. The perfect combination of sweet and spicy.
Other Ways To Enjoy This Recipe
As with most cocktail recipes feel free to change things up a bit depending on your personal preference. You can even omit the jalapeños if you don’t want a spicy drink or blend all the ingredients with lots of ice for a frozen margarita. Want an extra spicy cocktail? Muddle jalapeños in your shaker first to really release the heat! Want to cut back on the sweetness or carbs? Just use a small splash of orange juice. Want a different flavor? Try freshly squeezed grapefruit juice instead. You can also check out my Easy Paloma Cocktail Recipe. Not a fan of Tajin? Try a classic salted rim. There are so many different ways to mix things up a bit! Either way, I’m convinced that this is the best skinny spicy margarita recipe and will be making these on repeat all summer long.
*The following section contains affiliate links. If you purchase something I might make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog!
- Cocktail Shaker – My favorite is the shaker from Elevated Craft*! You will seriously never need to buy another cocktail shaker again because this one is perfection. Don’t have a cocktail shaker? Feel free to use a mason jar with a lid if needed.
- Small Plate
- 2 Cocktail Glasses
- Cutting Board
- Citrus Juicer
- Small Knife
Fresh Skinny Spicy Margarita Recipe
- 1/2 Jalapeño
- 2 Limes + 1 Additional Lime for Lime Slices
- 2 Oranges
- 4 oz. Silver/Blanco Tequila
- Tajin (Chili Lime Seasoning)
- Ice Cubes
- Start by pouring a decent amount of Tajin seasoning onto a small plate. Then fill your cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
- Add a quarter piece of jalapeno to your cocktail shaker. Feel free to muddle the fresh jalapeño to release more spicy heat.
- Slice your limes and oranges in half and juice them with a citrus juicer. Pour the fresh juices into the cocktail shaker along with the silver tequila.
- Rub a slice of lime around the rim of your glass. Then dip the rim of the glass in the tajin.
- Fill your cocktail glass with ice and a few jalapeño slices. Then give your cocktail shaker a good shake. Pour over the ice and garnish with a lime wedge or wheel and enjoy!
Making this recipe? Please tag me on Instagram @natashasfoodadventures so I can see your creations! I love getting to know you guys and can’t wait to see which recipe you will make next.
What To Serve With A Skinny Spicy Margarita: